Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thinking Ahead

Since the emphasis of my project is on applying my experience with 3D graphics and gaming to model acquisition, I thought it would be a good idea to spend some time identifying what exactly makes a good 3D game model. This is what I need to achieve with my point clouds, after I've finished with feature point detection, feature correspondence, and reconstruction.

Models for gaming should aim to represent the figure with as few polygons as possible and still have enough details to look convincing. Using low-polygon models helps games to run fast and smoothly, although as hardware improves, games are able to increase the number of polygons per object. Certain models will require more polygons than others, depending on how important they are to the game. For instance, a rock on the side of the road may use less than 50 polygons, whereas a small building may use more than 500. The use of texture maps greatly enhances the model to this effect because they add a lot of detail without extra geometry.

Simple geometric objects, like my Rubik's cube, may end up with far more polygons than is needed to represent them, since most of the feature points will probably result in vertices even if they lie on the same flat surface. Once the shaped has been determined, I should find a way to consolidate the polygons. For texture mapping, I will also need to combine all the input images into one or two texture maps.

Here are some of the papers I referenced in my proposal for transforming a point cloud to a mesh along with references Serge recommended:

No comments: